How long to write reports?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If getting a report finished on an average home took me 3 - 4 hours I'd have to do something else where I hopefully could make more than an hourly wage...

Tim M.

The overwhelming majority of my clients choose me because their friends or family recommended me. That means they have expectations that I'll provide a report similar to the one they saw or heard about.

When you do the math, we all make an hourly wage. Just make sure it's enough.

I use 3D and my typical report size in pdf format is between 1-2MB. That all depends on the amount of pics included. I tend to include pics(600x800) of issues with arrows pointing to what the issue is. I have Premier 11 and I use the Residential Narrative form set.

All of my photos are 640 X 480 except the cover photo. My form is custom made with 3019 menu items (usually changes with each report). I print out to Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, don't use the 3d pdf printer. I can use up to about 40-50 photos and still end up with a file size under 1 MB and that includes the cover, summary and SOP/COE. Adobe Acrobat combines them all into one pdf file. Also, the summary letter is signed with a signature pad/software that will indicate if any attempt to modify the report has taken place.

No report I've done in the last 4 years has exceeded 2 MB and I've use up to about 80 photos with the report length reaching 40 pages (just the main body, not the appendix and cover).

I'll be considering another software product before I pay for another 3d upgrade.

I did not Email reports until after I bought the Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, the file size was just too large for the client's convenience.

Marc

The report I put in last night had over 50 photos, of which I had to reduce the size of each, and using deluxe residential my report ended up being 6mb. This is avg size for me and most email servers will receive an email this size. I print to cutePDF which is a free program. Guess I'll look into the adobe pro.

Most of the free pdf writers have options to adjust the size of pdf file that they create. Explore the little buttons that you never use; I'll bet you find a way to reduce the size of the output while preserving acceptable quality.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

• 2 years later...

I have been using Inspect-Express for several years now and I have to say I’m happy with it. I think I’ve tweaked it well (boiler plates, custom templates, Mail-Merge contact info in word, Auto-Text when needed ect.) for speed however, I still spend roughly 4-5 hours average writing my narrative reports for single family homes (I write all reports back at my office after the inspection).

I include serial & model numbers for major mechanical items, date them and include hyperlinks to manufactures websites (information, on-line manuals). I also include 10-20…30, photos if needed (each resized for PDF delivery of 800x600 and annotated in Photoshop). I include a summary which highlights the major findings, safety issues and recommendations found in the individual sections of the main report. I then number all the finding (thanks john Dirks, it does make it easier when various parties are discussing the report over the phone), create a PDF from word (a great option when using Acrobat as it creates bookmarks in the PDF for ease of navigation) and include the 800x600 photos as attachments.

I then combine the PDF report with a PDF home warranty (if applicable), password secure the resulting report in Acrobat so no one can change what I write and ftp a copy to my web server. I do this because some web email clients do not support attachment over 5MB (rare but reports with over 20-25 full sized photos can approach 5-6MB. Also, after a year I file the reports on a DVD, if a clients calls regarding an inspection over a year old I just type the report number into my browser address bar ((password protected of course)) and I have it. I also like having multiple copies). I then send out an email with the report attached.

I like my reports an my clients seem to as well! Problem is at 4-5 hours each it’s almost impossible to do multiple inspections in a day.

My question is, how are other inspectors preparing their reports and how much time do you typically spend writing them? Narrative or checkbox? PDF delivery?

I think you provide a great report (from your description at least). I think it would take as long as you say to do such. I'm guessing you find it hard, though, to charge accordingly or you might not be posting such a question - just a guess; no mal-intent meant. If I was going to provide such a thorough report, I'd certainly charge accordingly though, and good for you if you already do.

I don't do all the *frill* stuff; manufacturer's websites, serial numbers, not as many photos, etc. But I do most all else you describe, and it takes me 2-2.5 hours for an average report.

All that said, I can type pretty dang well; a high school course I truly enjoyed. Would brushing up on typing help?

In reading over a large number of these responses, it is apparent that 90% or so of the inspectors are at the mercy of the design of the reporting system. The reporting programs I've looked at are heavily menu driven, and make the user follow a set path that makes for no flexibility. I can see how just completing the report would take 3 hours in addition to the inspection itself.

I wonder how inspectors would be able to handle the prospect of completing a report during the inspection, and handing the completed report to the client before leaving the job site. I am confident that it is possible. The idea is to build it. In fact, I'm working on it right now.

I don't really know what my customers' expecations are. Fact is, they're total strangers.

I wonder if this is a typical statement that might be heard from the majority of inspectors.

Has anybody taken the time to poll their clients, to see what they actually wanted to see in the report, what they read in the report and what they had no interest in seeing?

This information would be extremely valuable. It may be the deal breaker when looking at a reporting system.

You essentially would be using the perfect system if you used one that omitted everything that wasn't necessary from the point of view of the home inspection governing bodies and the end client.

Sounds like a research project worth looking into.[:-thumbu]

Building and delivering a report to a client while on-site (in my opinion) is fool-hardy.

Many of us call such HIs "checkbox chimps" and a good number of such inspectors are awaiting their court dates due to legal actions such 'hurry up' efforts usually result in.

Inspectors that know what they are doing are not limited 'one whit' by the application they happen to use to collect, arrange the data for their reports.

Hi,

I don't participate in these kinds of discussions here much because the advice I'd give you would probably be considered a little nutty by most. All the folks spending thousands for marketing and advertising and party favors would brand me a heretic.

I have a simply philosophy; I inspect my way and write a report like one that I'd like to receive if I were getting a home inspected. Nothing more, nothing less.

The older I get, the longer it takes to write the report because I have arthritis and can't type as fast as I used to be able to type. Some days it might take me 3 - 4 hours to complete the report and on others, on a similar house with similar issues, it might take 10 to 12 hours. It really depends on how my hands are working and how well I can remain focused on the writing task without allowing myself to get distracted. It sucks but so what. Aging is what it is, and bitching about it doesn't seem to make it any easier (Although I do like to bitch and toss a good rant around from time to time.).

I have two speeds, slow and careful. I write a narrative type report that most here would be aghast at because it goes beyond what the SOP's define as normal and is contrary to most of the advice tossed out there about what to write and what not to write in a report if you don't want to get sued. I don't give a sh*t; I've never been sued and have never been to arbitration in nearly 18 years; so maybe I'm doing something right....for me.

I don't do any marketing and I don't advertise. Other than the cost of the cardstock and printer ink I purchase to print my own business cards, I haven't spent even a dollar on marketing or advertising in more than a decade. In the past year I've probably only given out about 150 business cards - I don't need to pass out more because I'm not pressing flesh with the real estate trade in order to get my work. Former clients are all the advertising I need.

I'm not getting rich - never thought I would be - but I have enough folks referring me by word-of-mouth and via their internal websites that I'm managing to keep my head above water and be as busy as I want to be without the need to try and impress or ingratiate myself to those in real estate.

I don't think there is a set number for what constitutes reasonable time on site to do an inspection or time to write the report afterward; it is whatever it ends up being - or it should be; and if you're letting someone else dictate to you what's acceptable I think you're just allowing them to make your life more difficult.

Find a niche, make it work and inspect and report the way you'd expect someone to inspect and report for you. It doesn't matter if your methods don't fit the accepted H.I. mold; all that counts is whether it works to produce happy satisfied customers who're raving about your work to their family, friends and co-workers. Figure out what works for you, do it, stick to it and don't give a crap about what anyone else in this gig thinks about the way you are doing it.

It's what works for me; others' mileage may vary.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Thanks, Mike. A bit long-winded but good. [:)]

I am Mr. click and drag. I know all about resizing each pic. That is just dumb. Pay the money and get a program that resizes all the pics in a batch. Then drag them to the report or use a tablet that takes the pic and drops it where you tell it to.

The program should pick out all the nasties and throw them into a summary. That is the page I would read and that is the page all clients will read. This is broken and this is what you can do about it.

Life is too short to spend on tweaking a literary report that might get tossed in the trash next week. Such as when the deal falls through. Or they can't get financing. Or they don't like what you wrote so ignore it all. [:)]

Mike, did you ever try some voice recognition software to make it easier on those old hands. Won't do everything but it can take a good paragraph and put it on the screen for you. Might save you a bit of time but could save a great deal of wear and tear on the hands.

Mike, did you ever try some voice recognition software to make it easier on those old hands. Won't do everything but it can take a good paragraph and put it on the screen for you. Might save you a bit of time but could save a great deal of wear and tear on the hands.

As a matter of fact, I brought home Dragon Naturally Speaking yesterday. I'm going to try it and see if it's better than the crap that came with Windows whatever it is on my computer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Earlier in the thread, some had mentioned pictures and such for appliances. For me, I take a picture of the plate and I write the information on the back of the 'inspection agreement' that the client signs. That way if the pictures don't turn out, I still have the info written down. Early on, I was burned by the bad pictures that didn't show the model/serial numbers clearly.