Client asks to alter the report

The overhead door was nailed-shut and operator disconnected (foreclosure). I told them it should be inspected once it was up & running.

Calls today and asks me to alter the report saying the door and the operator were fine & dandy at the inspection; seems the homeowner warranty rep said it was a pre-existing condition. That, or could I send her an MS Word copy of the report versus the PDF I sent her. Nice client, and I was basically silent in response between my hmmms and hawwws.

Finally told her I thought I heard about programs on the web that could convert PDF's to Word docs, and I grimaced at even doing that. She thanked me, and also said it was okay if I had ethics. But again, I even grimaced at my response, but couldn't bring myself to voice a flat-out NO.

Also kinda upset no one else seems to share my affinity for Eminem.

The overhead door was nailed-shut and operator disconnected (foreclosure). I told them it should be inspected once it was up & running.

Calls today and asks me to alter the report saying the door and the operator were fine & dandy at the inspection; seems the homeowner warranty rep said it was a pre-existing condition. That, or could I send her an MS Word copy of the report versus the PDF I sent her. Nice client, and I was basically silent in response between my hmmms and hawwws.

Finally told her I thought I heard about programs on the web that could convert PDF's to Word docs, and I grimaced at even doing that. She thanked me, and also said it was okay if I had ethics. But again, I even grimaced at my response, but couldn't bring myself to voice a flat-out NO.

I think I would just say, "No. I can't change my report. That would be dishonest."

As for Mr. Em, I could say that I like him, but that would be dishonest.

I thought you had an affinity for Megan Fox. You should have left well enough, alone.

Dang, I'm outed.

Actually, I'm now 56. Been suffering quite a bit of short-term memory loss and mild dementia recently. Could explain a lot about my thing for Eminem.

Not Megan, though; that part of me still works just fine, thank you very much.

Hmmm. Let's see. I think that I would have a hard time not saying something very blunt and very rude.

Client who makes such request is not even close to "nice lady".

Sounds like a typical realtor to me.

I also think that if she asked for the report in Word I would caution her that altering the report without my permission might bring legal action (even if it is an empty threat).

My reports consist of a single file in pdf form and are signed with software that will indicate any attempt to alter any portion of them. Absolutely no one gets one from me in any other format, period.

As for requests to alter reports contrary to what my eyes told me, Jim said it best up front.

Marc

She clearly expressed an intent to commit fraud and solicited your help to do so.

If something goes wrong and she gets caught, don't be surprised if she throws you under the bus. Worse, if something in the house turns out not to her liking, don't be surprised if she sues you for as much as she can wring out of you.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

So far haven't had any clients ask me to remove anything from the report. More often they want me to report issues that I don't believe are issues.

One client did not like the landscaping and wanted me to report it needed modification. Ususally it is more cosmetic stuff like a single nail pop.

Hmmm. Let's see. I think that I would have a hard time not saying something very blunt and very rude.

I also think that if she asked for the report in Word I would caution her that altering the report without my permission might bring legal action (even if it is an empty threat).

Uh, wasn't a realtor, it was the buyer. And, she was, on the contrary, a very nice lady. I met her multiple times - at the initial inspection, at the inspection for the plumbing after the water got turned on (again, a foreclosure) and at a subsequent re-inspect. Heck, some folk think I'm a nice guy, yet I've erred/sinned many, many times in the past. Perhaps your milage varies.

I just think she was at her wits end with the insurance company, being denied not only this, but multiple other seeminlgy legit claims.

Also, while you may have been rude and/or blunt, I developed quite a rapport with her - as I try to do with all my clients - and wasn't going to be rude or blunt to such a client. That's why I hemmed and hawed, and couldn't be blunt or rude. . .grimaced at my final response, but that's it. Again, your milage may vary.

I just think she was at her wits end with the insurance company, being denied not only this, but multiple other seemingly legit claims.

I don't understand how an overhead garage door that was defective at the time of sale can be a legitimate claim for a home warranty insurance policy. I'm not sure I understand how anything can be a legitimate claim for a brand new homeowner, short of the house catching fire as you drive there from the closing. What kinds of claims was she trying to submit?

If you say so, then I'm sure she was a very nice lady. That still doesn't mean she's not a barracuda.

Uh, wasn't a realtor, it was the buyer. And, she was, on the contrary, a very nice lady. I met her multiple times - at the initial inspection, at the inspection for the plumbing after the water got turned on (again, a foreclosure) and at a subsequent re-inspect. Heck, some folk think I'm a nice guy, yet I've erred/sinned many, many times in the past. Perhaps your milage varies.

I just think she was at her wits end with the insurance company, being denied not only this, but multiple other seeminlgy legit claims.

Also, while you may have been rude and/or blunt, I developed quite a rapport with her - as I try to do with all my clients - and wasn't going to be rude or blunt to such a client. That's why I hemmed and hawed, and couldn't be blunt or rude. . .grimaced at my final response, but that's it. Again, your milage may vary.

My mileage varies from job to job, but my principles do not.

Anyone asking me to lie over my signature gets a reply very strongly on the negatory.

So her agent/broker convinced her to purchase a warranty? She should be leaning on them to smooth the process, not asking you to assist in the commission of a fraud.

Tell her to suggest to her agent that she may contact HUD regarding the nature of their relationship with the HWA. That will get her far further than altering your report.