Another Dropout........

Brandon Whitmore

I recently accepted a full time job as a service tech. in training with a local utility company. I'll be a trainee for the next 16 months; and will probably do some inspections on the weekends until the trainee period is over. I haven't really figured out whether I'll continue to do any inspections after that-- time will tell.

I'd like to thank all of you for helping me become a fairly competent inspector over the last few years. I'm hoping that my inspection experience will help with the new career, which is scheduled to start on Nov. 7th.

On the bright side, you won't have to deal with my ugly mug much longer, and I'll be able to shoot some referrals over to you local regulars.

The folk here are mostly class acts. I've seen tons of guys bail already, but a shame when the good ones go. On a side note. . .

If you don't have disability insurance, think again, even though it's expensive. I've been out for 3 months after shoulder surgery, and without the insurance, I would also be writing my goodbye here.

Glad I didn't put surgery off 'till the traditional slow winter months; been *cold* here for quite awhile. I agree - somethings got to give soon in this country.

North Carolina lost about 15% of insepctors state wide on Oct 1 license renewal. Idle chatter at association meetings indicates many more are barely hanging on. Several will even admit to haveing a part time job just to make ends meet.

Congradulations on being able to find a paying job. Best of luck in your newest position.

Thanks for the replies and kind words. This place feels like home, so I'll definitely pop in and say hi every once in a while. Heck, I may still be able contribute. I wish you all the best in this profession and am glad that the piece of pie got just a bit bigger for the others in the area during the upcoming slow months.

Fortunately, I'm able to say that I wasn't forced out of the profession due to the lack of work (barely) or a lawsuit. The job posting popped up on my computer one day and I figured, what the heck, why not apply just to keep my options open. I figured that the chance at a job offer was slim to none, and it kind of freaked me out when I was suddenly offered the job. Without my experience doing inspections, there's no way I would have been able to interview or test as well as I did. So, I guess what I'm saying is that my home inspection career was an excellent stepping stone.